Thinking about buying a pre-owned car? It can be a great choice if you want to save on the initial purchase price of a vehicle and avoid the immediate depreciation that comes with driving a new car off the lot.
But beware: used cars can come with their own negatives. Consumer Reports put together a list of 20 warning signs that may signal trouble down the road. Here are a few of them:
1) Paint that has chipped off or doesn't match the rest of the body, as well as paint overspray on chrome, trim and rubber seals may indicate sloppy damage repair.
2) A moldy smell, silt in the trunk, or problems with the electrical system all suggest previous flood damage.
3) A hood, trunk or doors that don't close properly may indicate accident damage that wasn't repaired properly.
4) Uneven tread wear on the tires may be proof of misaligned wheels, which may be the result of frame damage.
5) If the air bag indicator doesn't light up, it might mean the air bag was replaced improperly or not at all.
If you're considering a specific vehicle, print this coupon for a free 12-point inspection, drive the car to any Mountain View Tire location and we'll check it out for you.