Dirty, weather-worn tires are to your car as a pair of beat-up old shoes is to your wardrobe.
So, if keeping your vehicle looking good is important to you, treat your tires to a little TLC now and then. It’s pretty easy.
1) Limit sun exposure - Sure, that big ball of gas we call the sun is 93 million miles away, but it’s close enough to beat the life out of your tires over time. Consider that when parking. Look for shady spots or, if you pull into the same lot every day, change the direction your car faces to limit your tires’ exposure.
2) Give your tires a bath - All it takes is water, a washcloth and some dish soap. You don’t need anything fancier than that. In fact, other cleaners may contain chemicals that can break down a tire’s compounds.
3) Make ‘em shine - There are plenty of products you can buy to give your tires that showroom appearance. Just check the label first to make sure they’re not petroleum-based. Those can damage the rubber and cause premature cracking.
4) Store them properly - If they’ll be off your vehicle for a while, store your tires in a cool, dry space out of direct sunlight. When possible, cover them to provide even more protection. Read our post “Tips on Storing Your Tires.”
5) Keep them properly inflated - Of course, if the tread on your tires is too low their appearance won’t matter at all. So, to extend their life, always keep your tires properly inflated and have them rotated every 6,000 miles to spread the wear evenly over all four tires. Pull into any Mountain View location for a free pressure check and find our coupon for a free rotation here.