Owning a vehicle comes with a lot of responsibilities, from following traffic laws, to paying insurance premiums, to keeping your car in good shape so it's safe for your passengers and the other drivers around you.
Here in California, smog checks are part of that list.
In April 2014, we were certified by the state to conduct smog checks at our Palm Desert store at 34-700 Monterey Avenue, so we thought we'd share some information about the process and why it's so important.
- Smog is formed when vehicle exhaust combines with industrial air pollutants and sunlight. The fact that Los Angeles sits within a low basin and is surrounded my mountains adds to the intensity of the area's smog problem.
- Exposure to smog can lead to respiratory diseases, low birth weight, even death. That's why it's so important that each driver do his or her part to limit smog production.
- A smog check analyzes the vehicle's exhaust, checking for acceptable levels of hydrocarbons, oxygen, nitrogen oxide, carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide.
- Facilities that provide smog checks must now be able to make any necessary repairs to the vehicles they test in order to bring them within compliance.
- Becoming a certified Smog Check center is not an easy - or cheap - process. The equipment alone for just one store costs about $55,000. Technicians who want to conduct smog checks must earn either a basic license or an advanced license. Both can require more than 60 hours of training, as well as ASE certification in electronics, engine performance and advanced engine performance.
- Smog equipment is registered with the state of California. Each smog check technician must have his license number entered into the specific machine he'll be using by a representative of the state. And each machine communicates the results of every smog check directly to the state.
- Schedule a smog check for your vehicles at our Palm Desert location, or stop in any day of the week.
While we're working on your vehicle you can enjoy the Desert Gateway Shopping Center or grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants in the area.