I saw this tiny puddle of coolant in a parking lot the other day and was reminded of its lethal power.
Even the small amount in the picture could kill a child or a pet if they drank it.
Ethylene glycol is the main ingredient in coolant - also known as antifreeze - and it's poisonous.
Because of its attractive color and sweet smell and taste, coolant is especially appealing to animals. That's why it's important to remove and dispose of any coolant on your driveway or garage floor. Here's how to do it:
- Cover the coolant with sand, kitty litter or a professional-grade absorbent.
- Once the coolant has been fully absorbed, put on a pair of rubber gloves. (Coolant can seep through exposed skin and lead to organ damage.) Then, wipe up the absorbent material using paper towels.
- Place the paper towels and the coolant-soaked absorbent into a small plastic bag, tie it very tightly, and then drop the bag into the trash.
- Scrub the garage floor or driveway with warm water and soap. Then, rinse it into the grass. The soil will filter any remaining toxins before they reach the groundwater.
If your car is leaking coolant, bring it into any Mountain View Tire and Auto Service location as quickly as possible. Rain can wash puddles of full-strength coolant into storm drains where it can affect the water supply.
Of course, leaking coolant can also lead to an overheated engine and a lot of inconvenience down the road. So, if you spot coolant under your vehicle, or if you notice your car's temperature gauge is running hotter than normal, make an online appointment at any Mountain View Tire and Auto Service location now.